Tuesday 15 March 2011

Bruce Raeside talks to us about career as a runner

I've enjoyed running and competing from a very early age. Ever since I was spotted by my first coach, Pete Hutchinson, whilst running a schools cross country race at the age of 14,
I've had the 'running bug' and haven't looked back since! I've been a committed member of my local club, Nott's AC, where my current coach Trevor Muxlow provides much valued support and advice. I also represent Scotland, as although I'm born and bred in Nottingham, my parents are originally from Dumbarton. 


I've been committed to athletics in a serious way for the past 5 years. However 2009 and 2010 have seen the most notable achievements and proudest moments of my career so far. I won a silver medal in the Aviva World Trials in July 2009 in my primary event, 3000m steeplechase, in a time of 8.49. Following this, I went on to have a very successful cross country season, culminating in a win for Scotland in the Home Countries International in March 2010, beating a number of established international runners. This was followed by a great day at the National Road Relays in April, where I recorded the fasted 5K short-stage time, 14.01. 

In the weeks leading up to the track season, I wanted to build on my success and improve my fitness further, by attending a G.B select training squad in France. This high-altitude camp in the Pyrenees provided a great opportunity for intensive and varied training, with input from G.B coaches and an atmosphere of hard work and healthy competition with some of Britain's best athletes. Unfortunately, a groin injury that occurred whilst practicing my hurdling technique, meant that barrier work and fast rep training, and therefore 3000m steeplechase and 1500m, were out for the summer. This was hard to accept in this Commonwealth Year, as my hopes of achieving the qualifying standards in these events were all but dashed. 

Thankfully, I was still able to continue with aerobic training, managing to race in longer distance track races than my preferred events. I finished 3rd in the Loughborough International 3000m, with a PB of 8.06. I followed this with another PB at Sports City Manchester, with 13.53 for 5000m. My new-found success in this event was confirmed at the UK Challenge Final in Cardiff, where I won in a time of 14.09. 

Perhaps my most notable achievement of 2010 came in early September, with the Tees International 'Middlesborough Mile'. I think I raised a few eyebrows, when I won in a time of 3.52, beating several athletes who had already been selected for the Commonwealth Games to represent England and Scotland at 1500m and 800m.

My current aim is to complete a successful winter season, with optimal preparation for the 2012 Olympic Games in London, by securing the qualifying standard in 2011. 

No comments:

Post a Comment